Sunday, July 09, 2006

I love my church!

Our church is such a great place! It took us almost 13 years to get to FBC Athens, but we made it and are so thankful that God has led us to a place where we have connected so well with so many people who share our faith.

Wade and I both were brought up in church. My parents took my sisters and I to church every time the doors were open. (Wade's story is similar, but this is my blog!) Not only did we go to church, but my parents led by example. My mom always worked in the church and constantly cared for other members. She has such a pure heart! My dad didn't always go to church with us on Sunday, because he worked, but when he was able, he was there. We were expected to have a relationship with Christ and we all three made a profession of faith at various ages. I went to the same church regularly from the time I was born until I went off to college. Regretfully, I didn't get involved in a church in College Station. Then, Wade and I got married and moved to Huntsville and never got involved there either.

When we moved back to Athens in 1994, we started back to church where I had gone all my life. I know now it was because that is where I felt the most comfortable. We felt connected at times, but as the years went by, people our age seemed to be dwindling. We had no social interaction with anyone at church, except my parents!! The children's ministry was almost non-existent. We were involved, but I always felt like a big piece of the spiritual puzzle was missing.

We started praying about what we needed to do. We were very torn because we had history at the church, especially me. I felt like my parents would be upset and I have real issues with big changes. We knew the Lord was leading us somewhere else, we just didn't know where, as difficult as that was. In January 2005, we got a call from a couple we know that are members of FBC Athens. They invited us to a small group party. As soon as I got off the phone, I knew it was time to visit a new church. It was God's way of answering out prayer. We went to the party, and had a great time. Remember, we were not used to having any kind of social interactions with couples our age! We decided that we would visit the next Sunday. (It actually was several Sundays later, because I got sick and then we were out of town.) Anyway, I waited until the Saturday night before to call and tell my parents. Of course, my mom cried, but they both understood. With Wade's hand in my back forcing me into the door, we went to Sunday School. The kids were apprehensive, but they both had a great time. Our Sunday School class ended up being just what we were looking for. We couldn't have felt more welcome. I guess the rest is history, you could say! We didn't visit any other churches because we knew we had found our "home" as soon as we walked in the door.

Since then, we have been blessed with many new friends, spiritual growth and maturity, wonderful opportunities for service, mission work in Mexico, a great small group that meets and genuinely cares about one another, we have seen Wil come to know the Lord, the children ministry is expanding, our Sunday School is the best, but most of all we have a renewed faith!

God is so good to use other people to accomplish his purpose for us. He used our friends to make the phone call to invite us to a party. He used the leaders of our SS class to make us feel welcome, because He knew how hard it was for me to go in the door the first morning, He used the pastor and other staff members to speak to us spiritually. The list could go on forever.

Wow! What a ride! We truly believe we have arrived at the place God had intended all along.

Sandy C

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

i had read this early but i read it again tonight and just want to say...i love this gleaning!! and you and your family...one of the reasons i love my church.
Tammy

boomama said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to overstate the importance of having a church that's "home." I so related to this post, because we have been in a very similar situation - and I really believe that God delivered us to the place where we are now.

So encouraging to read your post - and I have heard wonderful things about your church from a blogging friend or two. :-) Y'all have a great weekend!