Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Yeah, me! Crazy, me?

Merry Christmas! After all the family festivities and food, I'm tired.

Food...my goodness we could have fed the entire state of New Hampshire with all the food that has been laid out if front of us in the past two days.

Food, an excellent segway into what new thing I have introduced or perhaps eliminated into/from my already crazy life.

In the past several months, I'm very proud to say that I have lost almost 20 pounds. It all started with a little weight loss competition at school. I love me a good competition! I started phase 1 of the South Beach Diet and never looked back. In 5 weeks, I lost 15 pounds and won the $75 pot. Yeah, me!! I have since lost another 5 pounds or so.

I must say after today and the pie and the oreo/cream cheese balls dipped in chocolate, and the other Christmas fare I ate those 5 pounds may be my friend once again!

Anyway, the weight loss has given me a whole new level of confidence. It's been said that I have a spring in my step. I'm feeling good!!!

In the past several years, South Beach has been my friend. It works very well for me for many reasons. Mostly, because I can lose weight fairly easily and this time, I have managed to get for myself a fairly flat tummy. Again, yeah me!

I'm happy to say that I don't want to lose anymore weight, except for the 5 pounds I gained today, of course. I just want to maintain. After talking to a good friend or two, I think I have found the answer....exercise. Now, that's a novel idea, don't you think? I've never exercised. I don't like to sweat, remember this.

I've been told it's something I need to do for my heart. Really?

I have some friends who run. One that's very serious, and two others who just run to stay in shape. After talking to them, researching things a little, I decided to challenge myself. I want to be able to run a 10K in April. I think I can do it. It's just a matter of getting started. I got the right kind of shoes, printed out a training schedule and charged the ipod. I could have waited to the new year, but not me, I started Monday. It was about 30 degrees outside, but that didn't stop me because I've committed to something.

Needless to say, my thighs and calves are sore. It's not like I ran the entire time, either. I walked 2 minutes and ran 1 minute. I did that for 12 minutes. I liked it way more than I thought I would. It was relatively easy. I thought I might only make it to the end of the driveway!! Yeah, me! again...

I actually have surprised myself a lot lately. I can't believe I've actually committed to running. Me, Sandy C. running? It's just not something that I ever thought I'd try. I think the willingness to try something new, is because I know I can achieve the 10K goal. I lost the weight and met that goal. I think doing that is harder than running.

I'm trying it again in the morning. I'm looking forward to giving it another try. I'll let you know whether or not I make it past the end of the driveway or not.

Sandy C

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!! By the way I am just going to go buy the book myself!!! It will probably be better if I own it, opposed to just borrowing it! =) Love you

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.