Monday, December 04, 2006

The most wonderful time of the year?

Here we are the beginning of December, all my Christmas decorations are up(they look quite nice, I must say!), we have already been to two parties, and my house smells of cinnamon. I should be feeling the spirit of the holidays. Notice I said I should, but I don't. At first, I was getting a little worried about myself, but I think I have put my finger on the problem. I love Christmas for the wrong reasons.

Christmas has always been my very favorite holiday! As a child, we had traditions that I loved and looked forward to all year. We spent Christmas Eve at my Memaw's and then home to open presents. I have such sweet memories of family, food, and sheer joy of gifts.

As I grew up, got married and had children of my own we started our own traditions that are very special. We have Christmas Eve here with my mom's family. It's a very large group of aunts, uncles, and cousins. On a good Christmas Eve, we will have about 45 people crowded in our house. It's always fun, but a lot of work. We then go to my parents' house and open presents with my sisters and their kids. We then spend Christmas Day here with Wade's family. Wil and Mollie always have Santa to look forward to on Christmas morning.

There are a lot of good things to look forward this time of year. I will admit I love presents!!! I love my family and the time we spend together. I love all the beauty of the lights, trees, and ribbons and bows. I love the smell of Christmas. That's why my house smells of cinnamon. (It's actually a candle called "red neck Christmas".) But what I don't like ruins some of my spirit. I dislike all the shopping for gifts that people really don't need, including my own children. The idea of giving a gift just because it's expected, drives me nuts. My list is lengthy and I haven't even ventured to the mall yet and I dread it...like the plague. I absolutely hate large crowds!! I feel pressure at school to entertain my students with Christmas crafts, decorating the room with paper chains and Santa Clauses with cotton beards. My calendar this month is crazy. The social gatherings are endless and I always gain 5 pounds or more with all the food. We haven't had a single night home in two weeks and things aren't looking promising for this week either.

I want this year to be different. I do..I do...I do!! The traditions are heart warming and I do look forward to all the family time. However, I want all our over abundant gift buying, rushing around and stress to please everyone to come to a halt. I want to take the time to appreciate Christ and his birth. I want my kids to realize the gift God gave us in His son. I want to give my time and service on things that give Him honor. I want to stop trying to get that perfect gift, when what I should be doing is sharing Christ love in other ways. What I would really like to do is use all the $ we spend on gifts, that will be forgotten by Dec. 26, on helping others who really truly need our help. We will do some of that, but not nearly enough. My children expect much, but I truly want this year to be different. My prayer is that when they grow up and have children that their Christmas traditions will focus more on Christ birth and His gifts to us than on the hoopla of our worldly Christmas. The true meaning of Christmas should be with us everyday of the year, not just the month of December. We should want to be giving of ourselves and thanking God for the gift of His Son all year.

I do believe this is the most wonderful time of the year!! I have to work on making it what it truly should be in my heart instead of something that drives me crazy. Just think of how all this craziness makes God feel, when the best gift we have ever been given was born in a smelly, drafty, barn.

Sandy C

No comments: