Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Diet Coke and the crevice on the back of my front tooth

Anyone who knows me well knows that my very favorite drink is Diet Coke. It's especially refreshing if it's Diet Coke with lime. It's even greater if it's a Route 44 Diet Coke with lime from Sonic. Anyway, I drink an insane amount of this beverage everyday. I drink a can on the way to school each morning. I don't drink coffee, so I feel like it's justified at 6:30 in the morning. I usually drink 2 more 20oz. bottles throughout the day at school. I may even have another can or two before bedtime. Who needs water? Right?

I have often thought about what all that carbonation is doing to my pearly whites. I know that I need to bleach my teeth. More recently I have had several cavities and my sister-in-law, the dental hygienist, says it's due to all the soda I drink, even though it's diet. Imagine that! It doesn't stop me however, from indulging every single day. Well, today, I was running my tongue on the backside of my bottom teeth and I felt something missing. I thought, oh my goodness, my tooth is crumbling. I'm going to loose my entire front tooth. It's going to chip away with every drink. Then I will have to have all this dental work done to fix it, Wade will suggest a gold tooth or something, I will say "absolutely not" and then he will forbid any more diet coke in the house because of all the expense I have caused with my little "habit" as he calls it. I can be over dramatic sometimes, but that's all I could imagine. Anyway, I went to the nurses office and got a throat light thing, and looked in my mouth, and sure enough something was missing on the back of my tooth. I could actually see the crevice at the base of my tooth. I emailed my sister-in-law and asked her about it. She said she thought it was just plaque that had come loose. She reminded me that I tend to have excess plaque. Then she reminded me that excess plague is caused by all the soda I drink. My goodness, can't a girl enjoy a caffeinated, refreshing drink, even though it's seems as if I have one in my hand all day long. It could be worse. I could be drinking something a little stiffer!!!

So....I have to wait until Nov. 9 to have my teeth cleaned so Wendy can remove the rest of the plaque. Every single time I rub my tongue against that crevice on the back side of my tooth, it reminds me......I need a Diet Coke.

Sandy C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!