Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The fun has begun

WOW! What a busy couple of weeks!!! School has officially started and I am feeling the impact. My feet are achy and as usual, my voice is starting to crack. That happens every year. I think it's because of all the "extra" talking I have to do this time of year. I also have to have my voice at a decibel that can be heard over 17 kindergarteners when they all appear to not be listening. I should be labeled a fireman instead of a teacher. I feel like I am constantly putting out little fires. Don't spit on her, don't poke him with your scissors, please get in line, when my voice comes on, yours goes off, please raise your hand, stop playing in the sink, keep your hands to yourself, go to the restroom...quickly and tuck in your shirt, where should your hands be, etc, etc. The list could go on and on and on. Overall, I do have a wonderful class with very smart children. My voice should recover in a few weeks and things will become as normal as a kindergarten class can be. (Whatever normal is) I also should stop hearing my name called in my sleep rather quickly, I hope. I am looking forward to the next 2 years with this class.

Just a few of the funny things that have happened so far...

*One kid argued with me because he was convinced I could recognize a drawing of his brother, Earl. I didn't know he had a brother and all he had drawn was a circle for the head, a bigger head for the body and straight lines for the arms and legs. How could I have missed it?

*One little boy actually took 10 minutes in the bathroom on more than one occasion. He said he was trying to get his pants up because he was sweaty. He now gets a count of 20 and then he has to be out. He can do it!!

*I was reading the book NO, David! The same child who was convinced I knew Earl wanted to know where David had learned all his bad attitudes that his mother says you shouldn't have.

*One child was on the way to the gym for PE with the rest of his class took a detour to the playground without anyone knowing it and blended in with another class. The teacher finally figured it out and went and found him. He had his priorities straight.

*Because of the standardized dress code, all students must tuck in their shirts. That is a task that can be accomplished for kindergartners, but it is hard. I have a child who gets his shirt tucked in and buckles his belt. He just forgets to button and zip his pants.

All this and we have only been in school 7 days. That's what happens on a campus of 600 Kindergarten and 1st graders.

The adventure continues.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a BRAVE BRAVE BRAVE woman! Thats why i love you!
Lindsey